Reduce Your Fuel Usage and Costs with these Winter Conservation Tips
Volatile fuel prices could cause your heating bills to be higher than normal this winter. However, with a few simple and inexpensive conservation strategies, you can reduce your home’s fuel usage and expenses. Alger Oil & Propane is an expert in energy efficiency and strives to provide our customers with the best possible home comfort solutions while keeping your heating expenses as low as possible.
Easy and Inexpensive Conservation Tips You Can Use This Winter
- Use the sunlight to your advantage. During the day, open your blinds and curtains to allow the sun to heat up your space.
- Check if your ceiling fans are rotating in the proper direction. During the winter, ceiling fans should rotate clockwise to create an updraft and circulate warm air into the space below. In the summer, ceiling fans should rotate counterclockwise to produce a downdraft and a cooling breeze.
- Insulate your pipes to reduce heat loss. As an added benefit, this can help prevent costly plumbing repairs due to pipes freezing or bursting when temperatures drop.
- Be sure to replace your air filters regularly and have your vents cleaned. Dirty air filters or ductwork can restrict ventilation and reduce the efficiency of your heating system. Plus, dirty air filters and air ducts can cause poor indoor air quality and respiratory problems for you and your family. Alger Oil & Propane provides several indoor air quality solutions to allow you to breathe healthier, cleaner air.
- Inspect your home and seal any cracks around windows, doors, and outlets on exterior walls. Also, make sure the exterior walls and ceilings are properly insulated. Low insulation levels or cracks in your home can allow warm air to escape or cool air to enter your home.
- If you haven’t already, contact Alger Oil & Propane for a tune-up of your heating equipment. Our technicians will provide preventive maintenance and any required repairs to ensure your equipment is functioning at optimal efficiency.
- If your heating equipment is more than 10 years old, you should consider upgrading to new, higher-efficiency equipment. Older equipment can run inefficiently and burn more fuel than necessary. Alger Oil & Propane is happy to help you find the equipment that meets the needs of your home and its installation.
These conservation tips should help improve the energy efficiency of your home and reduce your fuel expenses. If you have any questions about energy efficiency solutions or are interested in becoming an Alger Oil & Propane customer, contact us today.