Unlike many fuel dealers, Alger Oil & Propane doesn’t limit its delivery services to one fuel. In addition to heating oil, we provide clean, versatile, American-made propane. Why choose propane for your home heating fuel? We’ve found that the fuel offers countless benefits, but above all it provides S.H.E.E.R. comfort and peace of mind.
Safe: Propane is a non-toxic, non-poisonous fuel that doesn't contaminate groundwater or soil. Propane tanks can be safely buried underground at home sites in areas that are beyond the natural gas main.
High-performance: Propane can easily fuel any of the high-performance amenities today's homeowners are demanding, while also reducing energy costs and emissions and increasing comfort, compared with heating oil or electric appliances.
Efficient: Propane-powered appliances and other propane applications deliver homeowners better value and comfort compared with most other energy sources, while also reducing overall energy costs.
Environmentally friendly: Propane is an approved clean alternative fuel under the Clean Air Act of 1990. It is a low-carbon alternative fuel that produces significantly fewer greenhouse gas emissions than most other energy sources.
Reliable: Propane is a proven energy source homeowners can count on, even when the electrical grid is down.
Great for more than just home heating, propane is also used for the following applications:
- Pool Heating
- Gas Grilling
- Water Heating
- Whole House Generators
- Portable and Mobile Generators
- And more!
Propane is an extremely safe source of home heating. However, like any fuel, there is some degree of risk attached. Fortunately, propane comes equipped with a clear warning sign, an unpleasant smell (like a rotten egg or a skunk’s spray) that will let you know if a leak is present. If you smell gas, don’t panic. Follow these six simple steps:
- No flames or sparks! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
- Leave the area immediately! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
- Shut off the gas. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if and only if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
- Report the leak. From a neighbor’s home or other area away from the gas leak, dial 9-1-1 or your local fire department and then call Alger Oil & Propane.
- Do not return to the building or area until an emergency responder or Alger Oil & Propane technician determines that it is safe to do so.
- Get your system checked. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, call Alger Oil & Propane to schedule a safety inspection that will ensure your system is leak-free.
Here is a website where you can learn more about propane.